Bistrita, Romania, 1941
Lives and works in Berlin
Born in 1941, Günter Zamp Kelp graduated in Architecture from the University of Vienna in 1967. He was the assistant to Karl Schwanzer, a famous representative of post-war architecture, until he founded the Haus-Rucker-Co group of architects and artists together with Laurids Ortner and Klaus Pinter. This partnership lasted until 1992, when Günter took part three times in Documenta, one of the most important contemporary art exhibitions in the world, crystallising his work on minimalist buildings and composite structures.His work includes the Milleniumview, a sculptured staircase placed at the top of a quarry symbolising the change of millennium and the Neanderthal Museum in Vienna.
Since 1981, Günter Zamp Kelp has also been involved in teaching, being a professor at Cornell University, the Städelsche Kunstinstitut and the TU Vienna. In 1988, he began teaching at the University of the Arts in Berlin, focused on building planning, interior design and communication technologies.