Stuttgart, Germany, 1925-2011
A graduate in Architecture from the Technical University of Stuttgart in 1946, Max Bächer was a leading twentieth century urban planner. Apprentice to art professor Hans Hildenbrandt, he had the opportunity to meet Walter Gropius, Will Baumeister and Max Bill among other recognized names who influenced his urban work, highlighted by obtuse angles and open spaces built in solid concrete.
In 1956 he launched his own architectural office, where he began to generate public interest. In 1960 he started his teaching career at the Technical University of Stuttgart within the framework of urban development. He later became a key figure in the Ministry of Education as chairman of the reform commission of the architectural and urban development office. Max Bächer proved to be a figure of balance between design, urban planning and teaching.