In 1956, when Arne Jacobsen was commissioned by Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) to erect a multi-purpose tower in the centre of Copenhagen (an airline terminal, a travel agency and a hotel), from the outset he conceived a Gesamtkunstwerk, an all-embracing art form for which he designed not only the remarkable building but every detail inside, including furniture (such as the Swan chair and the renowned Egg armchair), upholstery, tableware, door handles, and so on. He also designed this elegant lamp that was used both in the lobby and the lounges, and indeed in every room of what would later be the SAS Royal Hotel.
On the floor the cast base mirrors the elliptical shape of the white lightweight linen shade, gripping onto the stainless steel shaft. A chain hangs from the bottom of the shade to allow the two bulbs, one facing downwards and the other upwards, to be switched on in any combination (one, the other, both together or neither). This perfectly conveys the train of thought of its creator: “efficiency plus functionality equals style”.
The AJ Royal lamp is currently part of our Design Classics collection.
- IP 20
- Stainless steel shaft and cast steel grey base.
White linen lampshade.
Double switch (CE Market).
Contact us for further details on the specifics of product versions for contract projects.
- Not included light source.
- Recommended light source (not included):2 x LED bulb 10W. (Included only in the CE market)
- Other light sources: Max. 100 W
- Input voltage: 100, 120, 230 Vac. (50 Hz / 60 Hz). According to destination.
- Bulb socket: E27 (Max. hgt. 130 mm / 5.1")